Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My Personal Experience with Wine

When I first tried wine it was in cooking. My parents used rice wine in a lot of their cooking and I loved the smell and the taste of the wine in the food. I once tried to drink the rice wine by itself but it was horrible. After that experience I decided it was best to only have rice wine in the food that I'm cooking. Growing up I saw my dad drink wine on special occasions but recently I have seen him drink it in the evenings. I would always love the smell of the wine my dad drank but when I would take a sip of it, it was the most disgusting thing ever to me.
It wasn't until college that I started to try wine again. My first bubbly wine was Andre. It was pretty good but that didn't last for long. Why? Because I drank too much of it in one sitting. Like they say too much of a good thing is a bad thing and that's exactly what happened to me with Andre. After that experience I decided to try out the different types of wine and maybe then I would learn to appreciate wine. When I tried a different type of wine again it was red wine. Bad choice to start off and once again I was on the boat of I hate wine and I didn't think I would ever learn to appreciate it or enjoy it.
Finally my junior year of college came and I was  going to study aboard in Europe. When I was talking to the professor they said that wine was a lot cheaper than water and it was custom to serve wine during most of the meals. I wasn't too happy to hear that. When I first got to Europe I tried some wine that someone had said was sweet. When I tried it, it was not sweet at all. What did they mean it was sweet? There was nothing sweet about it. I thought all hope was lost in enjoying any type of wine. It wasn't until half way through my trip that I found a wine that I enjoyed. It was dessert wine that one of the other students recommended when I told them that I have not liked any of the wine I have tried. They said that it was a lot sweeter and it was a white wine so I would be able to enjoy it more than what I had been trying. I gave it a shot and I loved the taste and it was actually sweet! After that I began asking around for the sweeter wines and my love for the sweet wines began.
When I came back to the states I began researching some of the different wines. I found really sweet wines and fell in love with them. But as I started to branch off into the less sweet wines the sweeter wines that I had loved started to taste overly sweet to me. I started to dislike how sweet those wines were and started to move towards the less sweet wines. My favorite that I've tried so far is Strawberry White Zinfandel  made by Wild Vines.

I still do not enjoy red wine but I feel like I am a lot closer to enjoying it than when I first started tasting wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment